Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Reflection to Dave Hewitt’s film

There were several things that intrigued me in Dave Hewitt’s film. Firstly, I was impressed by Hewitt’s way of introducing simple algebra. To be frankly honest, I haven’t seen a math topic introduced in such a creative, interactive, fun and exciting way. Secondly, I also liked how he manages his class. In particular, I liked how he was able to engage his students throughout the lesson in an innovative way such that he was able to encourage his students to think about the same problem in different ways. Thirdly, I liked how he was able to get the whole class to participate in the lesson by getting them all to speak out the answer because it promotes the students to self-check their answer when they hear an answer very different to their own. It was also great that no student was put on the spot to feel embarrassed since the whole class was engaged in shouting out the answer. Lastly, I really liked how he taught the lesson by starting simple and gradually building up the concept and introducing x as a simple introduction to algebra. Thus, I will definitely consider incorporating some of his innovative teaching techniques into my teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment