Saturday, September 26, 2009

Interview with High School Math Students

1. If you have troubles doing math, what would you do and why? Would you ask help from your teacher and/or classmate or go to problem sessions? Why or why not?

Student 1 :
I usually ask friends if I have troubles with math, and vice versa. My friends and I would check math assignments together. So when somebody has a question, we’ll discuss about it together. Therefore, it’s not necessary for me to go to problem sessions afterwards because discussions with my friends are good enough.


Student 2:
If i had trouble doing math i would probably go and ask my teacher for help at the end of class. Most kids if they dont understand it they will give up so you have to encourage them to come see you or the teacher after school or at anytime for help. Another thing that i might do is get a tutor that always helps.


2. What area of math do you find the most difficult? Is there anything your teachers can do to facilitate your learning better in this area?

Student 1:
I am not good with graph/sin/cos/tan.
I find myself understanding better if I can logically understand or know why and how things (in this case, math) work. Because trigonometric function is my weakness; it would be better if I can find someone who can explain to me again and again about how sin/cos/tan work.

Student 2:
Volumes and angles seemed a little hard to me and i dont really think there is anything more the teacher can do than to teach us it. i cant remeber i finnished all my math courses so its been a year since i have been in a math class but from what i can remeber; there wasnt much the teacher could do maybe t was because i wasnt listening during the class of explaining angles and volumes i dont remeber but i think the teacher did there share.

3. How would you like to learn math. For example, using diagrams, analogies, computer games etc.

Student 1:
maybe with visuals
I’ve never learnt math with computer games so I’m not sure about that one.

Student 2:
i think the good old way of sitting in a class and listeni8ng and taking notes is the best way its just that the etacher has to make it a fun activitie with every lesson for everyone to pay attention. otherwise everyone gets bored and start fdropping out of that class or they just dont get it.. every lesson has to be a little dummed down. pretend like you are teaching 5 year olds.

4. How can your teacher motivate you to learn a subject that you are really having trouble with or just hate it altogether.

Student 1:
This is a hard question. If I don’t like something, then it is very difficult for me to deal with it all the time. I can only say to make me/myself start feeling interested about it; hopefully to find some fun in it so that I don’t dislike it so much.


Student 2:
makeing the lesson a funner activity, maybe putting us into groups

5. What are your exceptions from a good math teacher or how do you describe a good math teacher?

Student 1:
A teacher who makes me feel interested in what she/he teaches.
Or else I wouldn’t be paying too much attention about what she/he’s talking about, and that eventually results in skipping classes and/or failing tests.
Also, a good teacher to me shouldn’t be monotone while teaching class.
Even if I do like the course, it will still make me fall asleep.

Student 2:
once i had a math teacher that was a really funny guy and everyone seemed to like him alot, he tried really hard to keep us tooned in. the problem with a math class is that no one really likes math in high school well not everyone but most people. i think a good math teacher is someone that makes the class a little more fun and keeps everyone from NOT falling asleep. But that will come after years of being a teacher and being very comfortable with everyone. in the beggining you will feel a little intimidated and the kids will understand that you are new to this and you might be a little awkward. so its all good :). giveing too much homework is never a good idea try to make them learn most of everything IN CLASS. becuase knowing teenagers they barely want to touch homework.

No comments:

Post a Comment